Fast forward from July of 2014 to September 2014. After I planted the pear trees in the sheet mulched area in my front yard, a familiar leaf structure emerged. The project follow up post is here:
The leaf structure was that of a cantaloupe. I had ran out of compost during the followup part of the project. I used my own compost that I had made in the back yard. Interestingly enough, not all the seed from a store bought cantaloupe had been “cooked” in the composting process. What resulted was an amazing growth represented in the picture below.
That is one plant that yielded 48 melons. Amazing production and a true testament to the power of permaculture! These melons were the most tasty cantaloupe I had ever tasted. There must have been some amazing biology going on in the soil. I was able to sell a few to co-workers, because they smelled and tasted so good.
Bear in mind that the original soil in this area was fill dirt brought in after construction. This base along with the lasagna structure of fertility fostered a prime growing environment for the cantaloupe. A pretty cool accident.